Wrap-Up, Part I

We bought two cords of wood last fall.  One, stacked in the garage, hasn’t been touched.  Here’s what’s left of the cord we worked from over the winter:I measured the pile; it’s about 28 cu. ft.  A cord of wood (stacked) is 128 cu. ft.  So, we have roughly 22% of a cord of a cord remaining, and burned about 78% of one cord over the winter.

How does this “stack up”?  It’s a bit hard to say, since there is variation in wood quality, stove efficiency, etc. etc.  But I’ve asked around.  A neighbor down the street, who burns oil but also uses a wood stove for part of the house, reports going through about two cords a winter.  A colleague who has a large, old farmhouse in a much colder part of the state tells me he burns ten cords.  Over in Nebraska, where average temperatures are similar to Maine, the University of Nebraska’s Institute of Agriculture advises thus:

“Depending on the type and quality of wood stove used; the type of wood burned; and the size, insulation and desired temperature of the area to be heated, you may need 4 1/2 to seven full cords of wood per year to heat your home. If you use wood heat as a partial heat source for your home, you may need only 1 1/2 to three full cords of wood per year.”

So that makes me feel good.  Not warm, per se, but good.

Advertisements

One Response to “Wrap-Up, Part I”

  1. Ozarks Says:

    .72 cords is really nothing. I usually burn a little under 2 cords a season 24/7 for my heating needs provided the wood is properly seasoned and mainly comprised of higher btu species.

    The Nebraska datalink is the most comprehensive wood burning guide however I think their usage estimates is based upon old technology stoves.

    The big question remains: Will you continue this experiment into the next heating season or are you going to spend more time/exercise scrounging for free firewood?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: